140 East History
"Old ideas can sometimes use new buildings. New ideas must use old buildings." - Jane Jacobs
Illinois Region 1718
The first record of settlement in the Tiskilwa valley was in 1769, when a group of Potawatomi traveled west from the Wabash Valley. By the early 1800s, there were an estimated 1,500–2,000 Native Americans living in the area.
1876 Bureau County Map
Bureau County was created from a portion of Putnam County in 1837. It was named for brothers Michel and Pierre Bureau, French Canadians, who operated a trading post near the intersection of the Big Bureau Creek and the Illinois River from 1776 until the 1780s.
Tiskilwa, 1910 map
140 East circa 1910